More doctors are using ketamine to treat severe depression in patients who haven't responded to other treatments.
I am not a Doctor. I am an Observer, a listener, and I share what I have gathered (without sharing confidences)
I have developed a unique view to depression, including my own depression, including that depression which leads to the handling of the artifacts of suicide, and again, including that which I ‘played’ with myself.
Depression, as a Neurological component IS a direct result of a dangerous CHEMICAL imbalance in the individual caused by partial or complete damage to those organs in the brain responsible to create and release those hormones and chemicals. They cannot produced elsewhere in the brain or body and supplemental pharmaceuticals are required to supplement the lost activities performs by those organs.
But Depression also has an emotional aspect that I DO NOT believe that counseling the depression will provide relief.
This is because it is my observation that depression can be a symptom of LOSS (among other things). And the survivor of Neurological Illness and Injury has a long list of Losses to think about.
My Top 5 “Losses”
1. Dignity - often first lost when the individual finds themselves being “cared for”.
2. Independence - often first lost by revoked or limited driving privileges, or being restricted to a wheel chair, etc.
3. Role - Lost when the individual is removed from being the man or woman of the house, and becomes watches helplessly as others do their work
4. Desirability - occurs as you are encouraged just to watch rather than engage in social activities, and becomes more evident when those who care for you need a vacation from you
5. Memory - Memory may or may not be damaged heavily in a typical injury or illness.
A Few practical solutions.
1. “Care For” must be replaced with “Cared About”. I make this distinction. Cared for means that someone smiles, gives me pills, makes a meal, etc. Cares about means that someone holds my hold, listens to me, reads or jokes. Family members chose love over worry.
2. The loss of Independence, which includes physical activities of independence, now need to be replaced with TRUST.
3. Roles lost need to be replaced with Roles given. What can I, the survivor, be given to be responsible for?
4. Desirability – For family members and survivors, anytime that caring and being cared for becomes a ‘job’, a serious inquiry needs to made into home health care aides, or just talking about reducing tensions and expectations.
5. Memories. Have several “old photographs” parties where the family discusses the photos and the events in each photo.